Sunday, February 16, 2014

Jonathan Pettibone on sore shoulder: "It's upsetting"

While A.J. Burnett officially joined the Phillies' rotation Sunday, one of the pitchers expected to be in competition for the final opening in it had a setback.
Jonathan Pettibone, who had a strong rookie campaign before an inflamed shoulder forced him to shut down in August, is having more shoulder soreness and didn't work off the mound Sunday morning as scheduled.
"I think we're just getting it at an early stage," said Pettibone, who had an MRI done last fall that showed no structural issues, "so hopefully we can just push going off the mound back a few days and go for there.
"I'm going to get on anti-inflammatories tonight and hopefully that shuts it down."
Pettibone, who went 5-4 with a 4.04 ERA in 18 starts with the Phils last season, said it was the same sensation as last year's but at a far earlier stage than when he finally went to the trainers then.
With veteran Roberto Hernandez and Cuban mystery man Miguel Gonzalez the other top candidates for the final rotation spot, Pettibone can't afford to miss too much time. But he can't afford to be anything less than his best, either.
"I want to be ready more than anyone, especially missing the end of last year," he said. "This wasn't part of the plan. I was working my tail off this offseason making sure I'd be ready, so it's unfortunate and upsetting.
"My main goal is that I want to be healthy and I want to be in that competition, so that's the only thing I'm focused on. I want to be in a position where I give myself a chance to make that fifth spot."


Location:N Old Coachman Rd,Clearwater,United States

No comments: