Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Cole Hamels Out (For Now), A.J. Burnett In For Phillies

By DENNIS DEITCH
ddeitch@delcotimes.com, @DennisDeitch
CLEARWATER, Fla. – In Day Minus-1 of spring training, the Phillies revealed the highest-paid player in franchise history isn’t going to be ready for Opening Day, then moments later added another wheelbarrow of money to a contract offer to A.J. Burnett in order to cover for the loss.
Cole Hamels met with the media at Bright House Field Wednesday morning and disclosed that he has been dealing with a bout of biceps tendinitis in his pitching shoulder this offseason. The issue has set the southpaw back enough that he already has crossed off the early days of the regular season as a possibility.
“Don’t feel alarmed,” Hamels said, trying to temper the dread fans already have when it comes to baseball’s oldest team. “It’s at the point where I feel healthy, but I want to build the strength and stamina and not reinjure myself. I’m glad we were able to find it earlier.”
With knowledge of Hamels’ situation and a brutally thin back of the rotation, the Phillies scrambled and agreed with Burnett on a one-year, $16 million deal, according to multiple reports. Burnett, 37, revived a career that seemed to go off the rails in the Bronx by going 26-21 with a 3.41 ERA in 61 starts with the Pirates over the last two seasons. The addition means the Phillies have three of the 28 pitchers in baseball who have thrown 300-plus innings and have an ERA below 3.50 in 2012-13.
However, one of those pitchers is Hamels (3.33), who gave an optimistic spin on an injury that cropped up when he tried to resume a throwing program in November and December.
“I’m behind schedule in my throwing program,” Hamels said. “I was talking with our trainers and Dr. Ciccotti, and he diagnosed tendinitis and (advised) I lay off throwing for all of December, then picking it up in January. So I’m in the middle parts of the throwing program, so you’re not going to see me throwing off the mound for the first couple of days.
“I feel great, I just don’t have the strength or endurance to throw a bullpen. Right now my comfort range is at 120 feet (flat-ground catch). When I’m able to do that efficiently and for a long time, then I’ll be ready to go off the mound.”
Hamels, who signed a six-year, $144 million contract with the Phils during the 2012 season, believes that he is about a week to a week and a half behind schedule, which makes the early pronouncement that he won’t be ready for the start of the season a bit odd. Most starting pitchers consider the last start or two in the Grapefruit League more of a nuisance than anything.
However, when a sore shoulder is involved, pitchers tend to get less bold. Hamels was assisted when he saw recently retired Roy Halladay in late December.
I did see Roy over the holidays, and we hung out and told me the same thing (as the medical staff),” Hamels said. “In spring training is where you can get some really bad tendencies in your mechanics and flaws if you don’t have the right kind of strength…
“Being able to have advice was great from a player of the caliber (Halladay) – I guess I have to say, ‘he was.’”
At least the injury prompted ownership to give the OK to spend more money. Burnett was considering retirement, but decided he would pitch for a team relatively close to his home in Maryland. That had the Pirates, Orioles and even the pitching-rich Nationals talking with him, but the Phillies went huge with the one-year offer and landed the right-hander.



No comments: