Sunday, June 3, 2012

Utley headed to Clearwater

On a day the Phillies offense looked as ill-suited as ever in attempting to overcome a 5-0 deficit - Hector Luna was the cleanup hitter - the team got good news following Sunday's game.

Chase Utley is taking his rehab to Clearwater, Fla., where he'll begin playing in games.

"I'm excited about it," said Utley, who has miss the season's first tow months with chondromalacia in his left knee. "I've made some progress in the next two months and I'm ready to take the next step."

Utey hopes to hop right into extended spring training games on Monday. He'll take at-bats and run the bases initially, and then hopes to begin fielding in games, too.

When Utley missed the first seven weeks of the 2011 season, he left for Clearwater on May 10, returned to Philly 10 days later and was activated on May 23. But he couldn't say if he'd be able to make a similar, less-than-two-weeks return to Philadelphia this year.

"I don't have a time frame," Utley said. "My whole goal is to feel comfortable and feel that I can contribute on a daily basis."

No comments: