Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Chooch takes another day, other injury updates

Carlos Ruiz is out of the starting lineup for the third straight game with a mild right hamstring strain. Brian Schneider is catching in his place in Wednesday night's series finale against the Mets at Citi Field.

Ruiz did take part in some sprinting exercises before batting practice and said he felt a lot better than when he arrived to New York on Monday. Ruiz said the hamstring had been bothering him for a few days and became more of a problem when he ran from first to third on a single in the sixth inning in St. Louis on Sunday.



With Thursday's off day in the schedule, the Phils decided it made sense to be conservative in returning Ruiz back into regular action. He expects to play when the Phils return to Citizens Bank Park Friday against Miami.


"I’ve had two days, Charlie giving me today and then tomorrow, that will be good for me," Ruiz said. "I was running outside today and I feel better, I don’t want to say (100 percent), but close. I think today and tomorrow are going to be the difference I’ll see how I feel Friday."

Ruiz is available to pinch hit tonight, just as he was Tuesday night.



In other injury news...

-- Roy Halladay was checked out by Mets team doctor David Altchek Wednesday. Halladay simply wanted a second opinion on his right shoulder. The Phillies won't have an update on Halladay until Friday, when he is expected to talk to the media for the first time since landing on the DL.

-- Laynce Nix ran for the first time since landing on the DL on May 11 with a left calf strain. Nix caled it more of a "really light jog" and isn't close to returning or going on a rehab assignment.

No comments: